Thursday, March 11, 2010

Frugal Fashion Tip

So... now that you know my entire life story and reason I started this blog, I decided it's time to get down to business! :)

Here's a quick fashion tip to help you look great and save money too.

If you don't have the money to invest in a bunch of new, cute shoes for spring, just try adding life to your every-day shoes with accessories. You can use bows, ribbons, clips, etc. I'm not talking about going to the store and buying shoes clips and accessories, but simply using things you already have in order to revamp your current shoes.

Take these plain black flats for example... they cost me $8 on sale at K-Mart and are some of the most comfortable flats I have in my closet!




These are 2 children's hair barrettes that I bought to clip onto scarfs and coat lapels as "pins". They cost $2!



The other day though, I needed an aqua shoe to tie in a scarf I was wearing. I thought "Hey, why don't I clip those barrettes on my black flats as a fun touch of color?" I just slipped the clip part of the barrette into the velcro tab on top of the shoes and... Voila!



Adorable shoes to go with my outfit without having to invest in ready-made black and aqua shoes that I could probably only wear with a few outfits. The best part is that since the barrettes clip on, I can take them off to go back to the plain black flats or try other clips for different styles and colors. All for the grand total of $10 and about 30 seconds of my time to clip them onto the shoes! Well worth it! :)

Since this shoe revelation, I've thought of several other ideas for sprucing up plain shoes! Ribbons, bows, buttons, clips, flowers, etc.

I've already dressed up a pair of basic, black, high-heeled sandals with delicate pink ribbon tied into a bow on the ankle strap. The result was a soft, feminine touch to an otherwise plain shoe.

If you can't find a cheap clip or accessory to go with the colors or style that you want, you can always make your own! Craft and hobby stores sell the plain, silver clips at a low price. Buy several and make your own designs. You could use ribbons to make a multi-color flower for each shoe. You could glue buttons onto the clip in whatever design you'd like... squares, circles, hearts, etc. You could even glue coins or other unexpected items onto a clip for a whimsical touch to any outfit. Have earrings you don't wear anymore? Take them and glue onto the silver clip for a one-of-a-kind shoe!

Try accessorizing your shoes! It is an easy, cheap way to revamp your shoe wardrobe and "design" the perfect shoe to go with your outfit.

Au revoir my fellow fashionistas! :)

Viva La Fashion!
-Amy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i am loving your blog, amy! keep all the advice coming! i need all i can get.......

Anonymous said...

I just love the clip idea. Of course, I could not pull off frufru accessories, but a fashion diva like you most certainly could and did!! Love this blog!

Anonymous said...

i really love this blog! great tips. :)

Nanx said...

so cute!

Amy Leigh said...

Thanks everyone!

Nanx- I was just checking out your blog. So nice- you have great taste! :)

Post a Comment