Tuesday, February 15, 2011

FORGET THE WHALES...SAVE THE MODELS!!!

As we all know, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week is happening right now in New York. If you've been keeping up with the designers and the newest collections, you might have noticed the biggest trend for Fall/Winter 2011 is to be insane.

Truly.

When has fashion gone from being trend-setting to being outrageous? I understand that each designer has to push themselves and be really cutting-edge. Otherwise, you get lost in the hundreds of shows happening around New York this week. But I don't understand how cutting-edge has turned into weird, ugly, wacky, outrageous, wild, hideous, and overall strange designs.

I also know that no one ever wears the designs straight from the runway. But could it be that designers have forgotten that we the public are the ones who actually buy their things? Not the newspapers or magazines that push their designs and decide what is "trendy" and what is not this season. But WE the people are the ones who should be pleased and enticed into buying pieces from their collection.

Therefore it is up to you, dear reader, to stop this madness and stop swallowing their "this is so now" hogwash. And yes... I just said hogwash. I'm from the South, so I'm allowed to. If we don't stand up and say "No! I am absolutely not wearing that because it's ridiculous," we shall be forced to endure even more so-called "trends" such as harem pants, tapered jeans, hair feathers, alien-like shoulder pads and more. Don't let the ridiculousness continue!

Personally, I think it all started going downhill the minute they let the first Hollywood starlet start designing clothes. Just because you're famous (of sorts) doesn't mean you can design. Yes... I'm looking at you, Jessica Simpson.

I love fashion. I truly do. And after so many years, there is only so much a designer can do to push themselves and become more creative. After all, it seems like everything has been done before. But many of the collections I've seen so far this Fashion Week, go beyond anything I've ever seen. They're not wearable. They're not even laughable. They're just... ridiculous.

I miss the days when fashion was about making a statement and going where no one else had dared go before BUT at the same time, designing for the real women of this world. Sadly, the designers seem to care more about pleasing the few critics in magazines than pleasing the people in real life. And it also seems that to be an acclaimed designer nowadays, you only need to use clashing fabrics, outrageous silhouettes, every material known to man (including meat?) plus wacky makeup and weird hair. Mash it all up together and what do you get? Astounding! Unbelievably edgy! Gorgeous! The next big thing!

Well... so the magazines would have us believe.

Wouldn't you just love to see a magazine say "With a few exceptions, this Fashion Week was a joke and should be completely dismissed by the women in the world as an attempt to brainwash us into believing it was fashionable. From the impossibly hideous shoes to the outlandish costumes they called clothes, I hated every minute of it."

To be fair, I have seen some really gorgeous things this year. But most of them are coming from the established designers that don't have anything to prove. They design beautiful clothes and they know it. They don't have to do "wacky" in order to get noticed. Perhaps my next blog, I'll forget being mean and focus of them instead. :)

But as for the rest of them... seriously?!?!?

I mean, think of the most fashionable woman you know and then ask yourself if she would actually be caught dead in this???



You can almost hear this poor model thinking, "How did I end up in this? Is this their idea of a cruel joke? It can't be possible that they actually think that putting my head in some sort of straight jacket and then dressing me up as a giant egg coming out of a red, black and white Easter basket is fashionable!!! Oh man, my picture is going to be everywhere! I'm going to be the laughing-stock of New York! Oh, I think I'm going to be sick! I wish I knew where the bathroom was but I can't see because of these huge, fake moths they have glued to my eyes!!!!"

Isn't it time we put an end to this weird and wacky sideshow called "cutting-edge fashion"? If not for our own eyes, then do it for the sake of the models. Should they really be forced to endure such embarrassing moments like the one above?

No, I think not.

For those of you interested in seeing live feeds of some of these freak *correction* FASHION shows, go to the Fashion Week website or watch them on youtube.

http://www.mbfashionweek.com/schedule

http://www.youtube.com/liverunway


In the meantime... let's all work together to do our part for the poor runway models of today.

Forget the whales! Save the models!

___________________________________

I lOVE JOHNNY DEPP BUT THIS IS CARRYING THE CPT. JACK SPARROW OBSESSION A BIT TOO FAR, ISN'T IT?




WHAT EVERY WOMAN NEEDS... A GIANT BIRDCAGE ATTACHED TO HER HIPS!



YOU KNOW THOSE DAYS WHERE YOU FEEL SO FAT THAT YOU THINK ONLY A GIANT, SHAPELESS SACK WILL SUFFICIENTLY HIDE YOUR HIDEOUS BODY? WELL EVIDENTLY MODELS HAVE THOSE DAYS TOO!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL so true!!!

Mom said...

Rigjht on target. Most of the runway shows recently look as though they were designed by Gaga.

Katney said...

Oh, my!

Post a Comment